“Language is like music, each word with its own sound, rhythm, and meaning. When I write, I play with words and ideas, and put them together to create something exciting and new!”
Here’s a little something to help you get to know Alice.
Who am I?
- First of all, I’m a Writer. Ever since I was small, I’ve played with words and made up poems, jump rope rhymes, and stories. When I got older, I wrote those words down. Then, when I was in my 20s, I began to send what I wrote to publishers. After many years of rejections, I got my first acceptance – a short poem in a magazine. Later that was followed with a story in Jack and Jill Magazine, and then books. Now, I’ve written over 40 books and after all these years, I still love to play with words.
- I am a Reader, who has loved books ever since I can remember. Some of my favorites were Green Eggs and Ham, The King the Mice and the Cheese, and then as I got older the Encyclopedia Brown books, Harriet the Spy, and From The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.
- A Writing Coach and Instructor. I teach writing classes regularly though Urbana Adult Education and take on clients as a writing coach, critiquing their work and helping them to improve their skills. During over twenty years of writing, I’ve learned a lot and I enjoy being able to help others to find their own paths and to help give their writing wings to fly!
- A Presenter, Guest Author, Keynote Speaker, Workshop Leader, who loves nothing better than to share my enthusiasm for reading and writing with children, teachers, librarians, and other writers!
- The Co-Regional Adviser of the Illinois Chapter of the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI)
- A Book Reviewer. Look for my picture book review column every third Sunday in the Living Section of the Champaign-Urbana News-Gazette.
- A Mom, whose two sons are now young men. Our family has lived in Urbana, Illinois for over 15 years now. That’s the longest I’ve lived in any one place ever! I’ve also lived in New York, New Jersey, Maryland, Kentucky, Georgia, Indiana, and even in Sweden.
- A runner, a dancer (on the ballroom floor, sometimes even on tables!), a hiker, a swimmer, a guitar player and singer, and more.